Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lovely Langkawi

3/18/2010


I had to get up super early (7 a.m.!) to get a ferry to Langkawi, another Malaysian island that sounded nice and beachy.  The ferry ride took about three hours and the air conditioning was on so strongly that I had to get a long sleeved shirt out of my backpack to keep myself from freezing.  I got a taxi to take me to Patai Cenang, a beach area that my guidebook said was nice and checked into a hostel- the Gecko Guesthouse, so called because there are a lot of geckos running around.  The first time I saw one, I was quite excited because I thought it was an albino gecko: white/gray with reddish eyes.  It turns out that's just what they look like.  Anyway, I checked into the dorm and hung out at the hostel for a while, writing and chatting with a British girl named Fern who'd been living on Ko Lipe, a Thai island just north of Langkawi, who was on a visa run, which is when you leave a country because your visa is going to expire, so you just leave for a short time, then go back and get a new one. 

Then I headed down to the beach with a book from the communal shelf to read.  I was really happy to see how close it really was, something I hadn't been able to discern on my way there, and that it was covered in very white sand and relatively blue and clear water and sky.  There were also a few scattered islands nearby that added nicely to the view. 



Several hours of sunning and swimming in water that was almost the temperature of bathwater, I returned to the hostel, went for a run along the beach, seeing several women bathing in burkas along the way, and got dressed to go out.  Fern and I went out for dinner (chili crab and Tiger beers) and then headed to a bar called Little Lulias which was on the beach with live music.  A guy she'd met before who was obviously trying to get with her was buying us all rounds which worked out great for me.  After a bit, we headed over to another bar, Sunbar.  It was an interesting place.  New, old style Malay architecture and decorations, with a mix of Malays and tourists.  A group of British guys from our hostel were there so while Fern talked to her guy, I went dancing with one of them, Matt.  After a while, I felt I was getting in the way of other people getting together, so I went home to the hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment