Monday, May 31, 2010

Visiting the Philippines, Almost

5/16-

For my last day in Taipei, I left my backpack at the hostel for final sightseeing.  I went to the Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall and saw the National Theater and National Concert Hall next door, all of which were just okay.  There was a medium sized protest going on, but I couldn't tell what it was about.  From there, on my way to Danshui, a popular seaside area, I saw the Grand Hotel from the train.  Danshui was swarming with people- tourists and locals alike, and wasn't pretty or interesting.  I was disappointed so I just headed back, ate and then spent a long time at the airport waiting for my 1 a.m. flight to Manila.  My flight was on a budget airline, Cebu Pacific and it was very strange.  The staff at the Taipei airport were incompetent and rude, but the staff at Manila were kind, helpful and in a shockingly welcoming, happy mood at 3 a.m.  What was bizarre was that for the transfer in Manila, I had to go through immigration and get my passport stamped and everything and could've just walked out of the airport.  Technically, I was in the Philippines for about 15 minutes while having to check in and get my boarding pass for my Hong Kong flight.  I considered getting off there (in the Philippines) but I didn't really want to so I just continued on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment